Beaux R'eves

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Shopping the House

Yesterday I gave you a snippet of something that I had been working on this past week.  
If you hadn't guessed, this is my Kitchen/Hearth Room with a new addition.  I got a ton of traffic from my Kitchen Reveal this week. See Here (Thank You!)  I was sitting there looking at the pictures one night and some things really stood out (in a negative way). OK, one is that I am not a very good photographer!  But, let's overlook that for now.  Look along with me...
I love my Shutters but I have always felt like I needed some kind of Drapery or Panel to soften up the windows.  
And you can see my Slider here that goes out to the Sun Porch needs a window treatment too.  So, as I was looking at the pictures and trying to figure out what I wanted to do (trust me I have thought about this a LOT and for a very long time) I went downstairs to the basement to get a cold drink.  Right as you walk downstairs there is a glass display case that I had used in a model home.  I don't have ANY idea why it is in that spot (the truth is that I loved it so much and I wanted to keep it so I sneaked it into the basement instead of selling it when Mr. Beaux wasn't looking). 

Here it is in the Model

My plan was to have my son help me move it upstairs on Thursday while Mr. Beaux was at work.  I thought maybe he wouldn't notice.  *Wink*  Hey, once I painted the entryway RED in our old house and he walked right thru and didn't say a thing!  I asked him if he noticed that anything was different and he stammered and said "You've changed your hair?"  Hmmmmm 
Well, that plan didn't work.  My son went downstairs and declared the piece too heavy for the two of us to move it upstairs.  So, I fixed Mr. Beaux a nice dinner (ok, I heated up some leftovers) and asked him nicely if we could maybe, possibly, any chance, we could move it upstairs.  After a lot of surveying and  pondering we finally just hefted it up on it's side up the stairs.  YAY!!!

It's not a very expensive piece of furniture but I've always liked it.  Originally Mr. Beaux didn't want anything obstructing the view out the windows but they built a strip mall and an apartment building across the street so there goes the "view".  Here is a look at it as it sits in the room.
Mr. Jackson likes it! I shopped the house for things to put inside.  I'm thinking Spring!
And on the top:  More shopping around the house!
The little teapot lamp that I bought at Steinmart and I painted with ASCP in old white and used the dark wax. I was going to change the shade but Miss Beaux liked the original one better. 
I still need window treatments,
 but in the meantime, 
I'm a little bit happier with the room.
Beaux R'eves
XO Cindy

Sharing at:
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo’s Blogging & Blabbing
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Roeshel  at DIY Showoff
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
Finding Fabulous
Gina at
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Jen at
Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

42 click here to Comment:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Oh cute! It looks great in its new home! I sold a similar piece, always wished I'd kept it!
Blessings!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love that cabinet and how you shopped the house to fill it. so cute! I have some things in front of windows also, sometimes there is no where else for them to go! hugs, Linda

dee dee said...

What a lovely addition!
You did a wonderful job... shopping your home!
Dee Dee

Blondie's Journal said...

I just love your home...everything is so beautiful. I especially love the shuttered windows in your kitchen. I wouldn't want to cover them...maybe a valance would add a little pop of something you want. Your cabinet is fabulous. They are so fun to change out!

XO,
Jane

Sue said...

It may not be the traditional thing to do- putting something in front of a window- but I like it, Cindy!!! It's full of cute hodgepodge of things from around the house and it just all goes together so well. :-) Good Job!

Andrea said...

Nothing like photos of your home to point out things you don't like about it =) I do that too! I think your room was beautiful before, but I do love your piece in it's new spot. You've styled it perfectly, too.

Intangible Hearts said...

Very cute and Mr. Jackson looks so comfortable. Love the Herend-style butterfly coffee cups. Gorgeous.

Joi said...

Cindy - I looove your beautiful kitchen & family room...and I love your glass cabinet, too. It doesn't matter a bit that it wasn't expensive as long as you love it and have so much fun finding great things to place inside! Some of my most favorite pieces are hand-me-downs or items bought on sale or clearance. (And I can't tell you how many lamps I have from Stein Mart, too!)

Bonnie Schulte said...

What a perfect spot for this cabinet. Even tho, you said it wasn't expensive, it looks like it is. I love all the items you placed inside, and on top of the cabinet. I think I want to shop in your house too. (grin)

Unknown said...

Simple Perfection!!

Deserae said...

Love the cabinet in your hearth room!!! I am impressed that you were able to fill it simply by shopping your house too :o)
~Des

Miss Kitty said...

Love your "new" room! Thanks for sharing the photos of it with us. You have accessorized the cabinet with so many lovely items. I saw your post over at "Boogie Board Cottage".

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I love the furniture piece and all that you out in it. I am dreaming of Spring too. Love your bunnies: I bought ont today at Home Goods. XO, Pinky

Debbiedoos said...

Love it, and even better to shop in the comforts of your own home. I just posted a link on my facebook page..debbiedoos blogging and blabbing...I just liked your page as well.

Cristina Garay said...

Hi Cindy, I love your kitchen and family room! Great that you shop your house to give a new life! I'm your newest follower, hope you follow too.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I love everything! Your kitchen is amazing! I love the lamp you painted. It looks perfect for this! I'm a new follower. I love your blog!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Cindy, the cabinet looks good in it's new spot in your home. I always think it is fun to "shop" in my house. Find things I haven't been using or find a new spot for something. Makes them seem new. Have a good week. I have been work to get a Facebook page started and add the Like box to my blog.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

This story had me laughing. I do the very same thing...first ask one of the kids for help and then turn to the big guy with the muscles. That is a great piece and I can see why you kept it. Shopping the house is the best way to redecorate. I enjoyed your post.
Susan

Tisha Clapp said...

My husband has asked "Did you paint in here?" several months after it's done. Too funny! Love the hutch and all your knickknacks - looks great! I'd love it if you'd share this post at my Show & Tell party, going on now @ the Delectable Home.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love shopping the house.

Your home is beautiful!!

Martha said...

I think it looks good there AND it is always fun to "shop" the house! (and the basement and the attic and the garage! LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Gloria said...
I absolutely love your home but please do not put anything over your shutters. Maybe a wreath or two here and there, but don't put up valances, etc. They are just dust catchers and take away from the beautiful shutters. If I could have my dream home, it would be yours. Quite lovely !!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your home is warm and beautiful. Love the cabinet and how you shopped your house. It looks fabulous!

Pat said...

Love your decorating style. This is my first look at your blog, and I am your newest follower.

Simply Tasheena said...

I love the cabinet. I would also love for you to stop by and link up at my linky party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Love this! i have a similar cabinet in my living room. I love the idea of adding seasonal decor inside. laura@imnotatrophywife.com

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love that black cabinet. It is lovely. And I love how you added those black plates on the wall. Just beautiful. Great decorating, beautiful home, and wonderful blog!
Blessings,
Debbie

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

2 words: Gor-Jus ;)

I came & I've been inspired. Your home is lovely & every piece seems to be in just the perfect place.

Anonymous said...

I love the cabinet and round kitchen table and chairs. Could you share the brand name? I would love to try to find something similar for my home!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never thought about putting furniture in front of a window like that. Great idea that I might have to copy.

Your Craft Book said...

I think it looks great in the room and the dark color is perfect as it grounds the piece and stops it from just merging into the backgroung. Great idea, Maureen.

chateau chic said...

I agree, that piece was made for that spot! Timing is everything when we ask for that kind of help from our husbands. :-)) I've learned that. :-)))
Your cupboard really looks good dressed up for Spring.
Mary Alice

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I like that piece of furniture too, it's so versatile! Shopping the house is fun, like cloths you haven't wore in a lon time, so fun.
I love your cozy, pretty and warm house.
FABBY

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Your little black cabinet was a perfect compliment to the room, Cindy. It adds a bit of oomph to the wall of white shutters.

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Sarah said...

I like your black cabinet too. It looks good against the windows. Personally I like the shutters.

Mary Neumann said...

I love the placement of the cabinet! Your home is beautiful, so warm and inviting. I saw your link at Time Travel Thursday - so happy I clicked on your share - your post has me day dreaming about spring! I'm a new follower - looking forward to seeing what you post next...Cheers ~ Mary (sweetlittlebluebird.com)

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

Oh it is darling. I can see why you kept that piece. And my hubs is just as oblivious (In my case, it was chocolate brown paint) and just as upset with me for holding on to awesome pieces of furniture in our garage. :( But it's totally worth it. Looks awesome. And I love all the spring themed pieces- lovely!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I love your home. It is gorgeous!
I'm a new follower. Hope to see you over at my place :)
Sherry's Bees Nest

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you for sharing more of your beautiful home at Potpourri Friday!

joyh82 said...

Very pretty! I just had someone come out and measure my great room for shutters. I love them. Have a great weekend!

bj said...

Looks really nice.
I am wanting shutters for my entire house and love them to pieces. I have to do one room at a time .....

Sarah@budgetfriendlydecorating said...

Your house is gorgeous. I love the yellow and black. Great job rearranging and designing with things you already had!!

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".