Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Growing Paperwhites

source

I love this time of year!  Preparing for the Family gatherings, the baking, the decorating, the shopping on Black Friday.  It's also the time that I plant my Paperwhites.  

source

Add caption
Paperwhites just say "Elegant" to me.  
Whether they are planted in a beautiful silver bowl 
or a rustic wooden box.
source
 Paperwhites are one of the easiest bulbs to grow indoors.  
I gathered some containers together along with my bulbs.  The package on the right was a gifty from my bestie.  
Funny how we think alike as I had just bought some at the garden store the day before!  
My plan was to plant the bulbs in the larger white container but with the extras I now had enough for two more bowls.  You can find anything around the house from Mason Jars 
to Silver bowls like the one I found on clearance 
at Tuesday Morning.  
The more unique the better!  
I thought the red transferware covered dish 
would look so pretty with the paperwhites 
tied up with a red or green ribbon.  
I bought it at an Estate Sale on half off day.
I loosely filled the containers with potting soil 
(you can use pebbles too).  
Place the bulbs with the pointy side up, 
cover them 3/4 
of the way with soil 
and water them every day to keep them moist.
Plant the close together, almost touching so when they grow up the blooms are massed together.
Place them in a sunny location.  
I put them all in my kitchen window so that I wouldn't forget to water them daily.  
They grow quickly!
It's fun to watch them sprout up 
and bloom in just a few short weeks.
Before you know it you will have beautiful blooms 
to chase away the winter blahs!  

Until Next Time, 
Beaux R'eves,
XO Cindy

Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays  

 Judy at DIY by Design
   No Minimalist Here Open House Party 
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

 Poutpourri Friday at 2805
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party

                                     Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
 Roeshel  at DIY Showoff

8 click here to Comment:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy I love paperwhites!! Love the pretty bowls you planted them in too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mom E. said...

Ooooo.....I love these and want to do this but it will have to wait until after Thanksgiving. My friend sent me an Amaryllis and it is growing like crazy!...Thanks for the beautiful pictures and great suggestion!
I will le tyou know how it goes!
Betsy

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love that old covered vegetable for the paperwhites! They just say Christmas to me! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Mrs.K loves pink and green said...

Love your containers! beautiful!

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Love paperwhites, so easy to grow in any container... Yours are lovely
Happy Thanksgiving.
Ciao for now..

Anonymous said...

You can "stunt " the growth of paperwhites so they don't fall over by adding diluted alcohol.

http://gardening.about.com/od/forcingandprechilling/qt/PaperWhites_Alc.htm

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

This is awesome!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Cynthia said...

I totally LOVE "Living Arrangements". You've done a lovely job with these!

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".